Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2016, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 May 2016 13:22:40 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Rear Brakes: E-brake lever lube, E-brake spring function (purpose)

Hi all.

If an e-brake cable spring has gotten weaker due to normal use over some years, will this weaker spring, in part, not allow the e-brake lever on shoe to return to the correct position? (re establish correct gap between lever and adjuster bar as per Bentley spec) It seems to me that one purpose of this e-brake cable spring, is to help push the e-brake lever at shoe back into correct position.

I know antisieze past or brake anti squeal past can be used for this but would it be ok to use a **small** amount of lube like thickish chain lube at e brake lever pivot point on the brake shoe? i.e. to help the e-brake cable spring do it's job?

I'm seeing classic symptoms of slightly out of adjustment shoes. It seems to me that not getting a consistent e-brake cable(s) adjustment is screwing up the shoe adjustment. More details below.

Neil.

AFAIK, my e-brake cables are not seized. If I, or a qualified shop, adjust shoes out slightly, we get the same results: the shoes drag requiring them to be set back to where they were. Based upon advice given here, I know this can happen with shoes that are already worn in (e.g. 30% worn) but along with other list advice, I now strongly suspect that either the e-brake lever at a shoe or shoes and/or a cable(s) isn't moving perfectly smoothly, the e-brake cable(s) are binding slightly just as the e-brake handle returns to lowest position, or, the spring in cable(s) is weak. Seems to me that any of these things could add to the challenge of getting a correct and consistent gap between the e-brake lever on shoe and adjuster bar.

symptoms I see indicating slightly out of adjustment shoes:

- van sits overnight: brakes work next day but improve ("bite" sooner, require less pedal effort) as I use them in city driving. - van sits overnight: if I push brake pedal down then pull up e-brake, pedal drops very slightly

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>

1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/>