Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2016, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 May 2016 20:07:24 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Battered and beaten heads (graphic pix. NSFS - Not Safe For
              Shop)
Comments: To: TJ Hemrick <x53gunner@GMAIL.COM>

Looking at the damage I would say that the engine or at least that side has been over heating and probably more than once. Looking at the rust and corrosion not only on the surface but also the coolant channels indicates a leaking system regularly being topped off. The damage around the exhaust guide could be from heat or coolant. Look at the studs very carefully. If they are rusted or pitted in any way they will need to be replaced. That will be the next failure as the surface damage will make for stress risers and the tensioned studs can break there. You should probably pull the liners and inspect the pistons and rings. They could be damaged from the coolant or the overheating. If coolant was getting into the oil even past the rings and in small quantities (not yet milky) there could also be corrosion of the bearings.

Dennis