Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2016, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 May 2016 10:01:31 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tires! 15" or 14"?
Comments: cc: Stephen Edwards <chibicyclist@GMAIL.COM>

> I’ve always run either 185 or 195 R14’s, and gotten decent mileage and handling, > but on the highway the ride is hard and unforgiving. I’m wondering if it’s time to > invest in some 15” wheels to soften the ride.

If you are keeping the stock ride height (or close to it), all things being equal a larger wheel will result in a harder ride, not a softer one. This is because you will need a lower profile tire to keep the ride height about the same while increasing wheel diameter. Therefore you are replacing a portion of the rubber tire sidewall (which is pliable and therefore softens the ride a bit) with metal wheel (which is not). If you increase tire height (and therefore vehicle height) that will compensate for this downside, but bear in mind that you will still need tires that meet Vanagon load capacity specs. See <http://www.busdepot.com/details/tires/> for details on those requirements (which still apply if a 15" tire is used, contrary to the unsupported claims of some vendors). Since the required load capacity calls for a stiff sidewall you still may not get the softer ride you seek. Also you may find that 15" tires that actually meet the standards for safe use on a Vanagon are expensive and hard to find. Whatever you do, don't be tempted to switch to passenger car tires. Sure the ride will soften, but at the expense of handling and safety. Very bad trade-off, especially when you're embarking on a long trip.

There may be other ways to make your ride more comfortable without compromising safety and handling. What shocks are you using? For example KYB shocks tend to ride rough, whereas a set of Koni's adjusted to the softer side will have a more comfortable ride and still provide excellent handing and accident avoidance. Also if you happen to have performance springs on the van they should go (for your needs), as that will result in a rougher ride. And while this may seem obvious, check your tire pressure. Over-inflation will make the ride rough and squirrely. You want to go by the inflation specs on the door jamb, not the maximum inflation on the sidewall.

Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com