Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2016, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 May 2016 19:56:21 +0000
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      domestic fridge light always on flame indicator light always on

At 03:02 PM 5/4/2016, gary hradek wrote: >David, > Would you have any idea why the flame indicator light on > the fridge of my 87 westy is always on even when the fridge is not > being cooled? > thanks gary

Hi Gary,

Unplug the separate black wire coming from the LED panel plug -- it's the connection to the thermocouple on the fridge and plugs into the fridge harness, the other end of the connection plugs into the back of the gas valve where the thermocouple is. If the light goes out then the panel is probably ok and I'd start by investigating fridge ground and other wiring. (If it's only lighting when the engine runs, no doubt you have DC cooling turned on, this often lights the flame light.)

If it still lights with the wire unplugged chances are the righthand LM324 chip is bad (each chip has four amplifiers, the left one does the water lights and a spare amplifier, the right one does power and flame LED). Those chips have not been robust in this circuit and other than solder fatigue at the little switch almost all the board problems are failed chips. Radio Shack plus any real electronics outfit like DigiKey have LM324 chips.

Yrs, d

>David, > There was very litle information about > this problem in the vanagon data base when I did a search. >If it is ok with you may I enter your >explanation into the vanagon list so that it is available to others? >As always the information you provided was most >useful. When I tried to remove the LED Panel >the light went off so I pushed it back in and >tested it and it is working like it should. >Light goes out when the fridge is not cooling >but comes on when it is cooling. I am sure >there is some problem I have yet to fix but will >wait until the problem becomes permanent. >Lately my way of testing if the fridge was on >was to sniff the exhaust vent. One last >question, Is the black wire coming from the >thermocouple putting out enough current that it >could me read with some sort of volt >meter? can I forward this information on to >the vanagon list if you do not? Gary -- David Beierl -- dbeierl@attglobal.net

Yes, you can read the thermocouple with a voltmeter on the 200 millivolt scale. It's the only voltage in the van (possible exception of the ignition high voltage) that's deliberately negative to chassis ground. It's only a fraction of a volt but has very low impedance, so it can drive enough current through a dozen or so turns of heavy wire to make a magnet that with carefully machined pole pieces can hold the gas valve open while the flame is lit. The op amp for the LED has a programmed gain of around -350 IIRC (the gain is set by the ratio of the feedback resistor to the input resistor).