Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2016, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 May 2016 09:15:04 -0700
From:         vw_van_fan_Mark <madvws@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Tires! 15" or 14"?

The 14" tires VW originally fitted to Vanagons were 185R14 but they didn't use the harsher riding Load D versions. Mostly they used 185R14 in a Load C and these are not so harsh. Nowadays we can't get much in that size and load C rating combination so we are left with the more widely available tires in harsher Load D instead. Or we can change rims to something that allows more selection and a less harsh ride.

I find that 205/70/15 is a nice riding size but not many of those are rated for the needed weight capacity. There are a few XL versions that go to load index 100 and recently there have been some bargain priced Nokians in that size as Nokian has switched to a slightly different version. The remaining supply of the old version is being deeply discounted.

You can get a set of Load 100 Nokians, 205/70/15 XL for under $250, including shipping. Check Ebay and see, while they last.

I have these Nokians on 2 of my vans now and m happy with them. I paid full price for the first set a few years ago and when I saw them deeply discounted I went for another set for another van in the family. 205/70/15 is not quite 3% larger circumference and so it works with stock engine power.

There is always 205/65/15 too, with Load 99 in XL available in a few brands. These are slightly smaller diameter than the 185R14 and that has no appeal for me personally.

I buy 5 tires at a time so I have a matching spare when needed and so if I one day ruin a tire I can still have 4 matching tires on the van. The ways tires go out of production these days you can never be sure if you will be able to replace a ruined one. Just rotate the 5th in to get your value from it.

Mark

vw_van_fan_Mark wrote: > The harshness is largely due to Load D 14" tires IMO, with very stiff > sidewalls and high pressures needed to carry the rated weight in that > small size. > > If you go to a 15" or 16" you can get tires rated to carry that weight > but with softer sidewalls and lower pressures. > >