Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2016, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 May 2016 21:04:07 -1000
From:         Scott <SCOTTDANIEL@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: User Input: Oval's Motorsport Rebuilt Engines
Comments: To: Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

Thank you very much for posting this link. Very convincing . Obviously they're way into it. I'm impressed.

just wish that one time for me, they weren't so awful to deal with over a broken valve spring issue on warranty, with one of their engines.

My single worst vanagon repair epeisode in my entire vanagon career of many years. Would never even talk to them again.

Based on what they write though ...they have given it a very thorough effort. and sounds like they offer a really proper piston, ring, and cylinders setup.

Scott

On 05/02/2016 08:34 PM, Neil N wrote: > The Gowesty article on pistons is quite interesting. Just one factor, but > according to them, the 1 or 2 mm difference in piston height is a > relatively big deal. > > Not that the likes of Dennis needs to read this article but here 'tis: > > http://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=82 > > Problem is, one may need to adapt the case for this piston. I don't know enough > to speculate why, but I'm sure it has to do with the displacement increase > (slightly wider piston?). Anyhow..... > > I too am not a fan of boring out cylinders. As a kid, with air cooled > engines, reading about > displacement increases seemed kinky back then. > > Neil. > > > > > On 5/2/16, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote: > >> Many of the piston/cylinder sets are notorious for bad rings. The 96mm big >> bore sets often have the wrong rings on them, 94mm rings on 96mm cylinders. >> Huge ring gaps until the rings snap. >> >> For all the money often spent on rebuilds I find the water boxer responds >> very well to just replacing the parts broken or worn. Heads, rings, gaskets >> etc. If the case is shot then shot it is. I have repaired many an engine by >> doing just one cylinder/piston. Quality rings is the key and when folks are >> willing going for the "total seal" gapless 2nd ring makes a huge difference >> in reducing blow by. >> >> When replacing the piston cylinder sets I often throw the rings away and >> replace with something better. When possible I try to get the COFAP sets. >> They have yet to let me down. As for displacement upgrades the thought of >> thinner cylinder walls added to increased compression ratio and to the >> extreme longer stroke crank just adds to reduced engine life and possibly >> NOx emissions issues. >> >> Dennis >> >> > -- > Neil n > > Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca> > > 1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy> > > 1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/> > > Vanagon-Bus VAG Gas Engine Swap Group <http://tinyurl.com/khalbay> >