Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2016, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 May 2016 21:04:10 -0400
From:         Spencer Allen <spencervw@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: does aux air reg affect idele after warm up 1.9
Comments: To: SCOTTDANIEL@TURBOVANS.COM

Thanks guys for your input. I have the 1.9 with the two switches on throttle body and they both are set correctly. The vacuum advance works fine but the distributor does leak a little at the base seal. I do oil the felt pad every other year. All the small small rubber and plastic vacuum hoses have been replaced. Don't seem to have any other leaks. Today I started it up and before it died I pinched the hose for the aux air reg test and the engine rpms dropped so the reg is working fine. I manually revved the engine until warm and backed the idle adjustment screw OUT about 2.5 turns and the idle improved to about where it should be but is still kind of lumpy. The mechanic checked the timing but looking at the lineup of the the timing mark it looks a little off to me-will recheck. I didn't try to drive it but will try that in the morning to see how it runs at cold start up. Will post results and appreciate all the help and great info from you. Thanks.

-----Original Message----- From: Scott <SCOTTDANIEL@TURBOVANS.COM> To: vanagon <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Mon, May 9, 2016 7:19 pm Subject: Re: does aux air reg affect idele after warm up 1.9

thanks for the good words John. in ALL cases of waterboxer idle weirdness.. 1.9 or 2.1.. that's the first thing I check.

in the first two years of 1.9 there are two switches right on top of the throttle body, just 'stuck on there' and hanging out in the open. One is for idle, the WOT. Super easy to check.

the 85 1.9 has the '2.1 style throttle switch' ...mounted on the underside of the throttle body.

if the allen screw and eccentric won't loosen for adjustment very easily .. or ..this is common too ...the eccentric can't move things far enough to get the right adjustment , I just pull the throttle body and work over the switch . Sometimes it's neccessary to bend the little arm ..tweak it a bit.

I set idle contact as close as I can to zero throttle .as long as it makes contact Every time the throttle is returned to zero. If it's set so it makes contact at too much throttle ( not as close to zero as you can get it ) but say 6% throttle ...or some small amount of throttle .. you'll have a situation where you can't drive very smoothly at very low throttle openings . Ya don't want that either.

on a 1.9 ..Idle Stablizer is connected ( as stated by David B ) and timing fairly right .. all important.

on the original poster's van . how is the distributor ? Vac advance and retard working and connected properly ? Lubed centrifugal advance ? ...I'll bet right now that's not attended to.

air intake leaks ? ..those are easy to have. Heck ..it's almost a 'standard' procedure now for me to pull the intake runners and reseal the ends where they join the heads...or work over the intake boot sealing very carefully too. Had idle change from 'only sort of will' to Rock Solid ....just by doing that.

Scott

On 05/09/2016 01:53 PM, John Rodgers wrote: > Scott is so very right. Check and adjust my throttle switch regularly, > because regularly its adjustment needs tweaking. Its easy to do, and means > a lot. In my case, I use the on/off light on my Shoebox monitor. Its a > light wired into the Ecu to tell you about the switch. A good meter hooked > up right will do the same thing. > > John > On May 9, 2016 17:52, "Scott" <SCOTTDANIEL@turbovans.com> wrote: > >> is the idle switch making contact at idle ?? >> very very important .. >> and most that I look at are not working right. >> >> Scott >> >> On 05/09/2016 06:56 AM, David Beierl wrote: >> >>> At 08:04 PM 5/8/2016, Spencer Allen wrote: >>> >>>> Took my 85 auto trans to mechanic to try and cure the bouncy >>>> idle-raced up & down in neutral/park- and he stop the bounce but now >>>> I have a weak idle warm or cold. Idle is so weak & lumpy that engine >>>> dies when attempting to put in gear and often just dies outright. I >>>> can apply throttle to get rpm up and it will run smooth like that >>>> but let off to put in drive no good. He seems to think the aux air >>>> reg is bad but even with warm/hot engine it still does the stumble & >>>> die thing. Shouldn't the aux air reg be a non factor if the engine >>>> has warmed up? before taking it in I did the hose pinch at start up >>>> and the rpms dropped as it should. I can't do that now because idle >>>> is too weak. Will attempt to do the Bentley check of aux air reg but >>>> would like some input or opinions on the weak idle. Thanks for any help. >>>> Spencer >>>> 85 Westy 1.9 auto >>>> >>> No, all the aux air regulator does is simulate opening the throttle >>> slightly when the engine is cold. It's connected thermally to the >>> engine and also has an electric heater so it closes quicker after the >>> engine starts. >>> >>> Check that he didn't forget to reconnect the idle stabilizer module, >>> it advances the timing when rpm goes below the set point. >>> >>> Yrs, >>> d >>> >>>