Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2016, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 May 2016 00:46:31 -0400
From:         Gabriel Hourtouat <ghourtouat@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vancouver Island

I must admit, the "usual tourist traps" sometimes earn their stripes. As is the case with the UPPER CARMANAH Valley, accessible by logging roads Port Renfrew or Cowichan Lake. Last time I checked-in there (~ 20 years ago), there was a parking lot and an opportunity to camp at a trailhead that lead immediately into this spectacular valley. You would be rewarded in just a few hours of hiking with a really very special place. Something you would remember for the rest of your life. (The Three Sisters, etc.). Only the most jaded person could think this is not one of the most special places you can visit.

For a time, the Lower Carmanah was accessible only from the West Coast Trail. Not sure of the current status.

Here are a few links to get you started if you care to research.

http://www.ancientforestalliance.org/old-growth/carmanah-walbran.php#upper

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/carmanah/

NOTE: as of about 10 years ago, the native run park at Port Renfrew had no services: no water, no sanitation, no camp fire wood.

If you find yourself at Bamfield, there used to be a 3 hour hike down to KEEHA BEACH. A relatively abandoned pristine beach. (Turn left onto the last gravel road before you drive into Bamfield, and park at the end of the road. Find the trailhead down to the beach.) If you must know, this was the site of the 1990 RAINBOW GATHERING, which would make a good Fraeday story for the list, if ever I get motivated.

gab