Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2016, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 May 2016 20:03:28 -1000
From:         Scott <SCOTTDANIEL@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: OEM Grease Colour: Rear Axle Shaft, Bearings
Comments: To: Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

hi Stuart, the 'lip' is the sealing lip , on the inside, where the rotating part rides on it.

and yes, on all seals of that type.. camshaft seals, crankshaft seals etc.. lube the seal lip on assembly, so it does not run dry on initial operation.

not important for grease seals in a grease housing, ( the grease used is fine ) but what I really like to use on a engine oil type seals is Bearing Guard .. ultra super assembly lube like for engine bearings.

learning goes on forever. all seals like to go into their housing dry , generally speaking. usually flush with the onside face of the housing.

scott

On 05/09/2016 07:44 PM, Neil N wrote: > Thanks Scott. I'll get some of that Permatex. > Likely I misunderstood what was meant by 'add grease to lip of seal.' > or similar phrase. > I did, however, clean the area where seal seats with brake parts cleaner. > > Meh. So much to learn! > > > > > On 5/9/16, Scott <SCOTTDANIEL@turbovans.com> wrote: >> i always install seals dry on the outside .. >> bare seal-to-metal housing. >> >> the last thing I would do is lubricate that spot ..the seal wants to >> slide out. >> >> even my 'favourite mult=purpose goop of all time' ... >> sticky Permatex High Tack gasket sealer, will help the seal slide out. >> >> bare clean metal against seal. I clean the metal part with carb cleaner >> or similar. >> Lacquer thinner would be idea. >> >> Scott > > > -- > Neil n > > Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca> > > 1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy> > > 1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/> > > Vanagon-Bus VAG Gas Engine Swap Group <http://tinyurl.com/khalbay> >