Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2016, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 May 2016 11:46:07 -0400
From:         Stuart Fedak <ve3smf@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Frequency recommendation to replace Vanagon fuel gasoline lines

I have a 1986 VW Vanagon Westfalia GL camper 2.1 L 2WD auto. In 2013 I replaced all the gasoline fuel lines with new German rubber gasoline line ( fabric coated ) that was obtained from a local Canadian supplier. This spring, I noted a leak where the line from the fuel pump splits to feed the two sets of fuel injectors. The rubber gasoline line split from the end where it was cut to length. The splits went into the area where the lines were clamped, and then past the stainless clamps. I replaced that fuel line and then yesterday the connection by the fuel pump was leaking. I replaced that one and this morning the other line from where the fuel line from the fuel pump splits to fed the two sets of fuel injectors was now leaking.

Questions: What is a normal life expectancy for fuel lines in the Vanagon? Should these lines be replaced every 2-3 years? Are certain brands or sources of fuel lines known to be better or worse. Will taping the ends of the gasoline fuel lines slow up the splitting of the rubber? Could this be caused by a fault with the fuel pressure regulator?

Any other tips?

I do not mind replacing these lines on a regular schedule. It is not a difficult task to do as preventative maintenance, at home. Having a leak or fire on the road is not good.

Your thoughts?

Stuart

Sent by telegraphy via an analogue to digital interface to a rotary phone to my dialup 1200 baud modem. ☮ ☮ ☮ PEACE ☮ ☮ ☮