Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2016, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 May 2016 15:04:44 -1000
From:         Scott <SCOTTDANIEL@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: does aux air reg affect idele after warm up 1.9
Comments: To: Spencer Allen <spencervw@aol.com>

yup.. recall that .. though it doesn't really make sense since if one is using a smoke machine to pressurize the intake system ...to look got smoke coming out in the intake system. one wouldn't usually see crankcase pressure ..i.e. smoke, coming out of anything to do with the crankcase.

so that test is still in question to me. you are familiar with the stud that pulls out on the intake left intake runners on 1.9 engines , that David B. mentioned ?

look at the coolant pipe that goes across the top of the engine. On the left intake runners there are studs ( one or two ) that are built into the intake runners, to which the crossover coolant pipe is bolted. never tighten those nuts much .. those studs rip right out, creating a very nice intake leak. kinda hidden too.

here's an intake leak story for ya. Same engine as yours. I open the throttle ...and it moans from idle. .. like throttle is opening ...engine is pulling in air, but no fuel is being added to make it rev out with the additional air added. I pull out my trusty listening hose and start listening around for leaks. I find up to ten ..all around the plenum and intake runners and throttle body seal .. and at the heads. Very tiny whistly/hissy air leaks.

I fixed all those ...revs like it should ..VROOOOM !

lol..anytime anyone says' 'it can' t be that because so-and-so whomever..dealer, mechanic, fancy shop ..whomever ........did X ... that doesn't mean anything to me really .. it means 'maybe' their test results are valid. a big fat Maybe.

until the end of the situation is reached .. very few solid conclusions like that can be stated with much certainty.

been there, done that....countless times.

Actually..if any shop did anything and 'it can't be that due to what they said or did' ....that's a red flag even. Can't even begin to tell you how many times I've heard that, and it was bogus .

get a listening hose about 2 feet long.. I like about 3/8ths inch inside diameter. engine running at some idle ....be careful about clothes, hair, jewleery all that .!!!. and start listening around.

you might enjoy this ..this is the Listening Stick .. ideal is a 2 1/2 foot long hardwood rod ...a big ole long screw driver will do too.. hold that against the flap of your ear, and set the other end on running things....alternator, injectors, distributor, injectors ..engine block .. anything and everything .. you'll be surprised at the sounds ....and a bad bearing ..say rumbly alternator bearing ( common ) will show up easily ..compare how the injectors click, etc.

Scott

On 05/10/2016 02:10 PM, Spencer Allen wrote: > The system was actually smoke tested and no leaks-other than the small > one from base of distributor - were found. I will check runners but > what is the stud that can be pulled out? > Spencer > > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Scott <SCOTTDANIEL@TURBOVANS.COM> > To: vanagon <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Tue, May 10, 2016 6:58 pm > Subject: Re: does aux air reg affect idele after warm up 1.9 > > very good thought. > yep..that's easy to do on the 1.9. Common almost. > > Hopefully the original poster has listened 'all over' carefully with a > Listening Tube. > Very obvious when the hose end is very close to even a tiny intake air > leak. > > Scott > > On 05/10/2016 01:43 PM, David Beierl wrote: > > Check that he didn't accidentally pull a stud out of the intake > > runner where the cooling pipe crosses over the top and mounts to > > it. That makes a nasty sneaky vacuum leak and it's easy to do, weak > > metal and plenty of leverage. > > > > Yrs, > > d > > > > At 09:04 PM 5/9/2016, Spencer Allen wrote: > >> Thanks guys for your input. I have the 1.9 with the two switches on > >> throttle body and they both are set correctly. The vacuum advance > >> works fine but the distributor does leak a little at the base > >