Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2016, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 May 2016 10:49:21 -1000
From:         Scott <SCOTTDANIEL@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Miss at idle?
Comments: To: tyler@seraph-net.net

all right .. that's progress ...getting the goal to get da tools.

a half-decent screw-in compression tester at Harbor Freight can be had for 20 bucks or so I imagine.

while there, look for an insulated spark-plug wire pulling pliers ... so you can pull off one plug wire at a time while it's idling.

heck ..you GOTTA have an IR Temp gun .. cheap ones might be $ 30 .. REALLY a super valuable tool.

Heck ..with it idling warmed up ... just shoot the temps of each exhaust header pipe .. that'll tell ya in 10 seconds which cylinders are producing power and which one or ones are not. Don't even have to take anything apart for this basic and valuable test.

Scott

On 05/13/2016 10:26 AM, Tyler Hardison wrote: > Yeah, I need to check that compression but lack the tools.. Oh well.. > Next payday.. > > On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 1:24 PM, Scott <SCOTTDANIEL@turbovans.com > <mailto:SCOTTDANIEL@turbovans.com>> wrote: > > if you have a genuine 'mist at idle' .. > like very clearly One Cylinder is not contributing power at idle, > that's usually very easy to find. > > if on the other hand you mean 'runs a little uneven/irregular at > idle, that's a little trickier.. > > d > Dd you pull one spark plug wire at a time while it's idling , to > find the Offending Cylinder ? > > that's always a GREAT and EASY test to do. > > if you have not done that yet... > well... > that's like 'basic' .. > > or........... sure, just throw parts at it. > > seriously ...if it really a 'miss' on one cylinder at idle.. > it's super easy to isolate which cylinder it is .. > and that helps a lot towards identifying what the real problem. > > there's no substitute for hands-on inspection and examination, and > all the tests you can do. > what's the compression for example ? > > Scott > > > > > > On 05/13/2016 05:24 AM, Tyler Hardison wrote: >> Where to start? >> >> Distributor cap and rotor, plugs are < 500 miles old. >> >> Wires are < 1 year old (Bosch from Van-Cafe) >> >> Timing was done 6 months ago with a light at idle. I checked advance at >> that time and it seems to work. P.O. had marked the main pully with white >> paint. >> >> Yes, I lubricated the felt. :-) >> >> Temp 2 sensor is < 1 year old >> >> Probably easier to start a list of what I haven't done: >> >> Hall Sensor.. >> Coil.. >> Fuel Injectors.. >> Idle Stabilizer Module.. >> >> I know that I need to adjust the throttle body micro switch. I've just been >> lazy.. >> >> Anything else I should be looking at before I throw money at it? >> > >