Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2016, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 May 2016 09:01:05 -0400
From:         "kenneth wilford (Van-Again)" <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon rentals are catching on
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@gmail.com>

It is not an easy business to be in. My sister and her husband bought North East Camper Rentals about 10 years ago when they had a windfall from selling a house at the peak of the market boom. It sounded like a great business for them to be involved in since I live the next block from them so, if the vans needed repairs, etc. there was a great place to get the parts and the work done right nearby. It turned into a nightmare for them, and then their marriage hit the rocks so the whole business just evaporated. But even if the marriage didn't have problems, I think they would have given up the business after a couple of years just because it was so risky.

The vans were in excellent condition and the guy who had the business before them took extra good care of them. He had a stockpile of new and used parts ready to repair any ailment the vans might have. We got them along with the business and they filled up a large storage building.

So what was the problem? Was it the vans. Not really. It was the renters. Actually it was a certain type of renter. Single, older women who knew nothing of mechanicals. They would just drive the vans until the "magic smoke" came out of the back, and then call us from the middle of no where to say they were broken down on a Saturday or Sunday night when you were trying to relax from the week. One time, I got a call when the lady took her dog to a park and then dropped her keys into a pond and couldn't find them. Another time from no where ville in Maine when the van broke down because she kept the AC on even though one of the hoses blew and all of the freon leaked out because it was hot and her dog couldn't take the heat. Early AC system with no pressure switches (thanks VW) and the compressor locked up, threw off the belt and took the water pump belt with it. She kept on driving. After all, it's a rental.

I would avoid this business like the plague. It takes all of the fun out of Westy and Vanagon ownership. If you have this business every weekend in the spring, summer and fall, you will be dreading that call that is coming. The call of the broken down van that most likely suffered at the hands of someone who shouldn't be driving it. Not a fun way to spend the summer. Believe me I have lived it.

Ken

-- Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com