Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2016, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 May 2016 06:47:58 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Setting E-brake causes adjuster to adjust? Hot Drums.
Comments: To: Neil N <musomuso@gmail.com>

I think you have them working about as well as they will work. I'd back off the adjusters until the rears turn freely every time and call it good. Rear brakes on the Vanagon aren't that great anyhow. Making the parking brake tight enough to actually hold the vehicle on a hill, that almost always results in them being too tight for going forward in everyday driving, at least in my experience. I've converted to the newer style E brake lever, and that did help, but to get holding power on a slope, you still have to pull the handle so hard I am afraid I'll pull it through the floor, because the shoes want to let go, by design, when you roll backwards......

Rear brakes aren't a big player in stopping vehicles anyhow...As you apply the brakes, the vehicle's traction (weight, momentum) is transferred to the front wheels and tires....almost no traction remains at the rear wheels, You could have Porsche Big Red Brembos on the rear and 12" NASCAR racing slick tires, you wouldn't stop much shorter than with stock drum brakes.....

I've just put my van back in service after a transmission rebuild and I, too, have been fiddling with the rear brakes, clutch, and hydraulics to get a firm high pedal...three times around, bleeding everything, adjusting the shoes a couple of times (thanks for the tip on which way to turn the rear adjuster wheel) fresh fluids and the pedal is still lower than I'd like, but it stops fine on the highway and it holds on my driveway hill and the drums stay cool so the rears are not dragging....