Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2016, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 May 2016 22:58:08 -0700
From:         David McNeely <davmcneely40@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Road Trip
Comments: To: "ddbjorkman@VERIZON.NET" <ddbjorkman@verizon.net>

There ARE campgrounds. What you need to look for are small towns with water supply reservoirs. Most of them have campgrounds on the lake, small fee, no competition. Unfortunately, my memory does not come up with the specifics. I do know that near to Edmond, Oklahoma there is a reservoir east of town with a state park on it. Also, Stillwater, Oklahoma has a camp on Lake Carl Blackwell west of town. Guthrie, Oklahoma also has a campground on a reservoir SW of town. Stillwater and Guthrie are not on your route, but are not far off, either. Sorry I can't come up with the names of the other two reservoirs right now. There are others. Route 66 of the era you are trying to stick to went through Edmond, and within a mile of the reservoir (which was not there at the time, of course). Arcadia, Oklahoma is on the route, and also on that reservoir. Arcadia has some Route 66 "attractions," including an intriguing "round barn."

BTW, in Oklahoma City the Route 66 route changed all over the place, so that maybe 3 dozen streets claim to be at least a part of Route 66.