Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2016, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 May 2016 23:52:07 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Solved?? Re: further measuring of new GW brake shoes vs old
              generic brand shoes

So I bought another set of shoes locally. I set the adjuster just slack then measured to outside of each set of shoes, one set mounted at each wheel. New shoes 245 mm, GW shoes 250 mm. ID of new drum is 252 mm.

When first measuring the GW shoes, the lower tangs appeared longer than same on old shoes. Manufacturer made them this way to help initial wear pattern? (i.e. made tangs longer similar to one adding shims?) My next attempt at measuring seemed to confirm this. I clamped each pair to a new drum, butted the lowers ends together, measured distance from mid point at each upper tang of shoe. That tang on each was the same width at end. GW: 133 mm image: http://tinyurl.com/h4sac7l new shoes: 143 mm. Image: http://tinyurl.com/haq5b2s

Shoe lining thickness in each shoe brand: 6 mm. Difference in shoe bracket thickness: slightly less than 1 mm. E brake lever on new set of shoes is thicker. The fork on adjuster fits with less play.

Holding the new shoes to drum, they fit well but sit a hair high at middle. Pushing by hand takes out this play.

I bought the GW shoes over a year ago. Maybe they changed brands since then. Maybe they're best suited to worn drums? (most owners typically replace only the shoes?)

googling new shoe number BS503L shows Dura International brand. If they wear mostly at upper half initially, thats fine. I'm hoping the new shoes don't drag.

On a side note, was disappointed to see my new backplate plug damaged by lip of new drum. Image: http://tinyurl.com/hfzzym8 This damage happened at each wheel. I don't know the brand of drum.

Neil.