Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2016, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 May 2016 06:47:24 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engines: what to choose

The inline VW motor, installed like the standard Vanagon diesel stocker motor, IS a fairly good choice that often gets ignored when people talk engines. These conversions (actually, most are simply 'substitutions' , gas for diesel...) are a LOT cheaper, and have fewer issues when trying to adapt to the rest of the van's systems. The common 1.8 liter inline, as it comes in the Jetta, Fox, Rabbit, Cabriolet, etc etc....those have about 105hp, similar to a WBX.... they run on Digifant, same as vanagon..you can plug all the wires right in and drive off without re-flashing any computer or changing much in the cooling system...Parts are dirt cheap. Engines are dirt cheap...

A few of us have swapped in an ABA 2.0 liter block, keeping the 1.8 liter head, which fits into a vanagon with no visible interior mods....These "hybrid" motors make about the same HP as a Subie, plenty for normal driving..

the drewbacks of the inline VW swap? Haven't found many yet. The VW inlines make power at higher RPM than a boxer motor, yes....and Tiico did them a bit wrong for a while, causing people to think every inline sucked....not so.