Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2016, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 May 2016 11:55:13 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Border Crossing USA to Canada
Comments: To: WILLIAM WITZ <pbwitz@sbcglobal.net>

the border folks aren't concerned about things like high Watt headlights. (though please see below) 90% of the time, either direction, they always ask: destination, purpose of trip, where I live, what I do for a living. (I"m retired, so I say that). Crossing into US, they always ask about food I'm carrying. Often, they ask if I'm "bringing anything across" or "meeting up with anyone". Crossing home into Canada, they may ask about these things (I carry minimal food either direction) but always ask about booze, pepper spray, arms, etc. When crossing into US or Canada, I have my passport visibly ready, in hand, keep my hands where they can see them, am polite, NEVER joke around, even a little, (BTDT) and answer when asked. About 15% of the time they ask to look inside while at the booth. Really though, crossing the border is no big deal. Just know what you have on board, know what you're allowed to carry, answer the questions, be polite.

Speaking of headlights though.....

My last crossing back home into Canada, I declared my automotive parts purchase. The type and amount of my purchase must've prompted his "light hearted" comment;

"I've seen these vans with lots of modifications" [awnings, wheels etc.] He was likely fishing hoping for me to say something like:

"yah. I've done TONS of mods on mine"

Were that true, this would've opened a door for him. Of course I told the truth; "every repair job is like a restoration". i.e. 'I don't have expensive wheels/tires, awning etc. I purchased parts for actual repairs, I'm not hiding anything like a new engine.'

That type of thing won't likely happen to US citizens heading into Canada. You guys have direct access to large VW parts vendors.

Neil.

On 5/22/16, WILLIAM WITZ <pbwitz@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> In a few weeks my wife and I are going camping up North. I was looking for > advice regarding my E-code lamps that I got from Bus Depot. I installed 80 > to 100 watt bulbs. Is that going to be a problem for us? The bulbs are aimed > correctly so as to not blind anyone. ......The last time were in > Canada was before 9-11. >

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>

1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/>