Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2016, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 May 2016 16:58:06 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1.9 wbx aux. air reg and later style throttle switch plug
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

Hi all.

Indeed Dennis' tip that those two plugs being identical and easy to mix up, was very useful. The '85 westy I helped a friend with had those plugs mixed up. Not placing blame but the shop that did the major engine work likely did this. Easy mistake for a non vanagon shop I guess. Heck. I couldve done same given that I don't know digijet that well. Ironically, the way the wiring harness laid, the air regulator plug wires are shorter than the wires to the throttle switch plug. So it would look logical to unknowingly incorrectly install those plugs.

The bus immediately idled better but due to time constraints the owner didn't have time to test drive the bus and I have my own bus work to do. (Stoopid brakes) She did however, notice it was idling better. No more surging. I suspect it will drive ok or at least better.

Between this bus owner having to move from her 15 year long residence, and a large bill for the engine work, she has a lot on her plate and is very appreciative of the list help.

Great to learn a little about digijet and lend a hand. I addressed a few other things while in there. Ie abrasion wear at vacuum hoses AND the new hose from coolant tank cap being too long. This hid the oil dipstick tube rather well. Upon me removing the engine lid, the owner immediately spied the dipstick, not in the tube but basically just lying there, between belts and crank pulley. The dipstick tube now has white tap wrapped around it. It won't stay white but should help her out.

So a big thanks from her any myself. I would never had known to check those two plugs.

FWIW, the plug for aux air regulator was a little heat damaged so if one sees that, it's one indicator that it is or should be at regulator which is closer to engine than the throttle switch plug. And, the throttle switch plug has a brown-yellow stripped wire. The aux air plug does not. On her bus, that aux air connector housing was missing some plastic. I bail wired it to the regulator and taped a note to the engine lid regarding that.

Neil.

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>