Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2016, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 May 2016 20:09:44 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Setting E-brake causes adjuster to adjust? Hot Drums. Need to
              do a better job at proof reading!
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

Right ok. I get it

So I'm measuring the old shoe against new. First thing is that the e brake laver on the new shoes is 1 mm thinner. Assuming a properly adjusted ebrake lever would keep the adjuster bar in alignment, I doubt the larger gap between bar and shoe/ebrake lever is an issue. Depth of slot the big fork fits into is the same however. 11.5 mm by my measure.

Measuring old shoe against new, ironically, lining plus steel bracket thickness end up being identical. Regardless, it's proving tough to get consistent measurement from mid point of shoe lining OD to a straight line from each contact patch at each end of the shoe. So far though it seems im seeing a 1 mm difference but. could be full of doo doo on that measurement.

I traced an outline of each end of each shoe bracket where they fit into lower pin and wheel cylinder piston. The bottom portion is nearly identical so I transferred a measurement of contact patch shown on old shoe, to new shoe. It's roughly mid point. My lower pins are somewhat worn though. The upper end is nearly the same shape.

I know this seems like overkill, and my methods are highly suspect, but if I'm correct about these particular new parts fitting so close from the get go, it's possible some other shade tree could install the parts only to end up with glazed shoes and drums.

YMMV though.

Neil.

On Monday, May 23, 2016, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote:

> As for taking some material off the shoes plates to make clearance I meant > to say DON'T take any off the bottom. The trick with these is to maintain > as good a contact patch as possible. In creasing the clearance by taking > off some material at the top will be compensated as the lining wear by the > adjuster. Since there is no adjuster at the bottom leave the loser shoe > mountings alone. Recall most shoes needing t have the bottom shimmed out. > > Dennis > > > >

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>

1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/>