Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2016, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 May 2016 10:37:28 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Solved?? Re: further measuring of new GW brake shoes vs old
              generic brand shoes
Comments: To: Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

You're welcome. No need to apologize. While you may have gone a little extreme most do not realize how important and how much the rear brakes are needed to stop these vehicles. After the OEM shoes were no longer available it took some time for me to realize the problem with fitment of the aftermarket shoes. It reached a point that all shoe replacements started with 2mm shims with new drums and 3mm or more with worn. Then I came across the GoWesty shoes and what the heck? I can’t get the drums on with any shims. Deal! So I have been using them. The price is reasonable and while I see nothing special about the lining material they seem to be working. And then after you come along I now have one that is a tad too tight. For the heck I tired swapping another set of shoes ( I stock these). OK now. Quality? Anyway a little filing-grinding will make it right.

One thing that you are doing great is paying attention to the details. Details will make or break any job. As those shoes wear you can add shims as needed. As long as the rests come out easy you can pull the shoes out, remove the rest, add shims and let slide back in. Overtime you will see the wear pattern and benefit of bottom adjustment.

One thing with drum brakes it that they should never be considered a set and forget forever system. They need to be regularly inspected and even cleaned. The brake drum backing plate is designed to resist water intrusion and which also means wear dust can’t get out. They stuff can build up in there and just keep messing up the works. Grease on the adjuster is not a good idea so it needs to lubricated with some type of oil or Lock ease to keep that from rusting. Sometimes the springs break. Etc. it only takes a few minutes to pull off the drums and have a look around. Tire rotation, after any major panic stop, long downhill trip excursions where you know you heated them up, etc. are all reasons to have a look.

Dennis

And your expertise is much appreciated Dennis. I can appreciate how mich time answering emails of this ilk, takes. I apologize to all for posting so much about my brakes.

Neil.