Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2016, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 May 2016 08:18:26 -0700
From:         David McNeely <davmcneely40@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Onboard water supply?
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

In 9 years of traveling and camping with the beast, we have never had a problem with the on board water so far as illness is concerned, and we do use it for drinking, washing dishes, and just about everything. I have periodically cleaned the tank with bleach, similarly to Eric's approach. We use whatever the local water supply is where we are, and they have all been fine. Once, in Arkansas, we went to a campground where there was a sign advising that the campground water was contaminated due to a sewage leak from the toilets. We did not use the water on that occasion, of course.

Whenever we are where there is a suitable source (creek, spring, lake), I always use that water for coffee, tea, and other uses that involve boiling before use. I just like a bit of local flavor. I also use it for bathing. We've never gotten sick from water when camping. I've been doing it since I was a baby. When back packing, and sometimes for other camping, I've used Potable-Aqua, a convenient iodine tablet available wherever camping supplies are sold.

If you really distrust your on board water supply, just add bleach to the water when you fill the tank. Make sure it is pure sodium hypochlorite, no perfumes or any other additives. The rate is two drops per quart of 5% sodium hypochlorite, I believe, but you can look it up on the FEMA web site.

Now, we both have gotten sick from restaurants, more likely from food than water, but we don't know for sure. My most recent bout was after a trip to Mexico City. It was diagnosed as from _Campylobacter_, the most common form of traveler's diarhea. Put me down for a week. I could have gotten it from an airport restaurant in the U.S. as likely as from Mexico.