Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2016, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 May 2016 19:25:31 -0700
From:         Alistair Bel <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: Onboard water supply?
Comments: To: rogerwhitt1@gmail.com

I'm sure Dave will agree with what I'm going to say. There really is little excuse not to have a potable water supply in the van using the stock tank and plumbing.

Just like doing the brakes, it's all down to taking care of the details.

I'd suggest that the poly hose from tank to faucet should be replaced. If stock then it's old and most likely has cracks and fissures on the inside. The old saying about the first stage of infection is attachment is applicable here. Having crevices in the hose for bacterial or fungal colonization is not a good thing. Replace with food grade tubing.

The water tank should be cleaned, but resist the temptation to reach in and scrub with anything abrasive. Again you don't want to form scratches that can give refuge. I've washed out the tank with a diluted solution of Hydrochloric acid ( muriatic acid at the hardware store) to remove water deposits. The tank was impressively clean after that.

Sanitizing the tank and lines for most of us means using a bleach solution. There are other chemicals and if you have access to them that's great. Peroxy acetic acid is great for a no rinse sanitizer. Home brew and wine making shops might have that. As an aside, sodium percarbonate is a good cleaner and sanitizer as a first step in cleaning the tank. Again it might be found at your home brew shop.

But bleach works well and is available. Remember to use clean tap water to rinse out, your city water is good.

Don't fill the tank with anything but known good water. It's a no brainer but has to be said.

Remember the simplified rule, micro organisms need three things to thrive; warmth, water, food.

(And although it's a very simplistic rule, it works for the organisms we want to protect against)

Take away any one and your good to go. In the water supply situation it means taking away food, and that means clean water goes in. No dirt.

I think it's daft to have a water system in the van that you can't trust.

Alistair