Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2016, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Jun 2016 21:39:39 -0700
From:         "C. Abney" <tsudonimh@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      cv ball cage: inner or outer chamfer to axle? (and 090 AT reprise)

I'm packing my cv joints, and come across a conundrum.

van-cafe says "The side with the greater chamfer goes towards the axle." see http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_16_9/cv_joint_maintenence.html for more.

But my ball cages have an inner chamfer on one side, and an outer chamfer on the other. Referring to the still intact joints I have two with the inner chamfer towards the axle, and one the opposite. The parts themselves, at least on the one I've worked on, are in really good condition (not that I'm an expert, but there seems to be little wear.)

So which is it? I get the impression it's not so important, but at least van-cafe has an opinion on it. I ask the group if any among you has one.

As for my 090 transmission, Dennis you were right about the pistons, all three have chewed up rubbers and, even if they were working (not sure?) I ordered replacements.

Looking deeper for my missing plastic washer, the one I thought it'd be, given the symptoms (slipping in third and reverse) is quite intact.

An identical one setting on top of the oil pump was rendered to baco bits and collected in the structural vanes of the pump. Finding it online was nearly impossible until I found the right part number, it's still abundant and cheap in the porsche 944 tranny shops.

One guy told me, before I found this, that he found the only one in North America. Well I got it but it's for some other car, surely.

The plastic thrust washer with the three tabs between the ring gear and rev. planetary was in place, but broken in three places.

A seal on the brake band servo is also bad. I think that's in the rebuild kit though.

Finally, many of the friction plates were stripped of their surface coating. This accounts for the dirt i found in the pan a short period after changing the fluid.

-C -- There's no .sig like the present