Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2016, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Jun 2016 21:42:09 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: AC SERVICING
Comments: To: John Rodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>

R134a is currently wholesaling for around $4/pound in the bulk 30 pound containers. Even if you overcharge the system you are looking at around 3.3 lbs. if you want to do things right you can replace the expansion valve and you should replace the receiver drier. The expansion valve is not unique for the Vanagon and any good AC supply can get one metered for the R134a.

The most common reason for the AC to not work adequately after a retrofit is that there is still contaminants in the system along with using the junk in tap cans. Get the system cleaned including a flush to get all the old junk and oil out. Proper evacuation is the next important step. You need to pull a vacuum down to the micron range. Do this right and you will have good AC. At least as good as it should be.

Dennis

Typo - should be r134a. Sorry, to many thumbs and not enough fingers. There are several toutube videos out showing servicing with Dust Off, a computer cleaner comprised essentially of difluoroethane, a refrigerant. References are made to EPA allowances for difluoroethane cas# 75-37-6 - which is what Dust Off is. The big thing is it is as good as R12, not toxic to the environment, unlike r134a it can be bled into the air. Though flammable it is insignicantly so, inexpensive (about $13 at Wally World for a 3 can package. This is what I've gleaned so far. Don't know about mixing the difluoroethane with residual r134a or if more PAG OIL is needed. I imagine there are other questions too, that need answering, but this seems to be aVanagon owners dream. One caveat - as I currently understand it, this is approved for home installation by yourself. You can't have it done in a shop.

Here are some links.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O70Ww9vzjvg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1,1-Difluoroethane

This video below also includes a flame test for flammability!

https://youtu.be/3wkBnhcyO3Y

From what I have found so far, difluoroethane is the same as HFC152 which apparently has been approves and will replace r134a soon. This is in Dust Off.

I plan to use it unless good reaslns are laid out not too!