Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2016, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Jun 2016 01:03:43 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Road Trip problems
Comments: To: ddbjorkman@VERIZON.NET

The radiator fan is operated in a medium speed when the Condenser pressure is too high and needs to be brought down. This is controlled by a pressure switch on the AC that operates a relay on the fuse box. During hot weather especially with low speeds it is normal for this switch to increase the speed of the radiator fan. The problem is worsened by a system that is overcharged. It is normal for the fan to run at this speed for some time after the AC or the engine is shut down, especially if the radiator is hot as that heat will soak into the AC condenser and keep the refrigerant at the higher pressure. 5 to 20 minute fan after runs are not cause for concern during these conditions.

Some things that can help include having all the deflectors in place for the radiator to make sure air is forced through. This includes the cardboard pieces on the grill. Make sure the AC is properly charged. The system has to be filled by weight and especially with R134a you can’t top it off only using gauge pressures. You need the tools to calculate charge based on superheat and even that changes with inside and outside temperature. Proper charging requires full evacuation (recovery) and refill by weight. ~1,300 grams. Turning off the AC just before reaching your destination will allow the condenser to cool off with the help of the sir being pushed through while driving. It is also helpful for the engine and cooling system to let the engine idle down for a minute or so before turning it off to reduce the heat soak boiling the coolant in the engine.

Dennis