Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2016, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Jun 2016 17:59:00 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Remove Brake Caliper: Steering Knuckle Off Vehicle
Comments: To: Scott - IMAP <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

Thats helpful to know Scott. A mechanic had speculated that there might be something "kinky" with a caliper(s). He'd experienced that before. And ya. Crazy but a new rebuilt caliper leaked nearly right away. It's my understanding that there's small donut type O rings between each caliper half.

Thanks for tip on sway bar. When I bought that bus it didn't have one! Mechanic installed one from a '91 IIRC. It seems to fit.

For me, I'm still quite undecided on installing a "big brake" kit. i.e. I'm not convinced that adding more braking power won't exceed the design of other components in part, or whole. Then again, I really don't know what I'm talking about. Just a gut feeling.

Neil.

On 6/19/16, Scott - IMAP <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote:

> Hi Niel, > those early calipers arn't that great for sure. I've seen LOTS of them > with sticky pistons, especially the outer pistons.

> you have the matching front anti-sway bar...? .hope you do. The early > one won't fit I don't think. > > a caliper leaking at the seam , new-rebult out of the box ? Wow. Never > have seen that. > In a normal rebuild you never even take the caliper halves apart. >

> Really..I'd just go to a Tire and Wheel Alignment Store ( much as I try > not to ) and just say .. > 'could you just buzz these tight bolts off for me" ? >

> 'everyone knows' ....that on all things that turn ... > like wheels and axle nuts etc....you gotta think ahead and do them while > things are held down firmly by the vehicle itself. > > much better outer wheel bearings on the later vans.. > they get a better starting in maybe mid 83 or 84 or so.

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>

1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/>