Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2016, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Jun 2016 10:00:42 -0400
From:         "kenneth wilford (Van-Again)" <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: AC INOP 1988 GL WBX 2.1
Comments: To: John Rodgers <jrodgers113@gmail.com>

John, did you watch the video I made about this subject on Youtube? https://youtu.be/IZJAlpXZQgg

It is really for 86-91 Vanagon and Westy owners as the earlier Vanagon AC system was significantly different.

My experience with the Vanagon AC system is this, if there is a small charge still in the system, it is worth a couple of cans of R134a to see if you can make the system work. I have had great luck doing this over the years. It costs very little to try to get the system back online, and if it lasts that summer, that is how long some factory fresh systems lasted from when the vans where new anyway so don't feel too bad. I have had vans that needed a recharge every spring, would last the summer and I did that for 10 years in a row and it just worked. There didn't seem to be any ill side effects except having to charge it once a year. I have had other folks go the "replace everything" mode, spend $1500 on the AC system and the next spring or two later, guess what? It needs a recharge or there is some problem with the system that requires works. The reality is that the AC systems in these vans can get really expensive, really fast. If the system won't hold a charge for more than a month or it is blowing fuses, or the compressor is super noisy then it is time to invest some money. But otherwise I leave it to the customer for their decision. Usually they choose to try the cheaper option and see what happens. Most of the time I don't hear from them again that summer about the AC because it is just working.

"Don't let better get in the way of good enough" is a great motto when you are dealing with Vanagons. Something can always be "better" as perfection isn't actually attainable by us mere mortals. As long as it is working and doing the job, I will driving and smiling. It's gonna be a hot one this summer folks.

HTH,

Ken

-- Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com