Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2016, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Jun 2016 09:43:15 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Fwd: Re: AC INOP 1988 GL WBX 2.1
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

Dennis, I responded to Ken's email. Thought I would respond to your email by sending you a copy. Thanks.

John ---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: "John Rodgers" <jrodgers113@gmail.com> Date: Jun 20, 2016 09:36 Subject: Re: AC INOP 1988 GL WBX 2.1 To: "kenneth wilford (Van-Again)" <kenwilfy@comcast.net> Cc:

Ken, thanks. I haven't seen the vido, but will look it up. The compressor > is a rebuilt one I got from you some years ago. It was noisy from the > get-go but has otherwise been fine. Two years ago the pressure got so low > that the system shutoff automatically. I haven't fooled with it until now. > I had it checked, and low and behold it still had pressure, but not enough > to start. I wanted the new refrigerant - HFC 152a, which proximates R12 in > performance - to go back in it. The system was evacuated, and then vacuum > pumped down to minus 29 inches of mercury. Then, using an AC manifold and > gage system, added the first can of 152a. Everything went swimmingly until > tarted to add the second can with th engine running and the AC cycleing. > (1) It would not take the can (2) the compressor clutch did not seem to be > engaging(3) now that I speak of it, I don't remember the radiator fan > running, though it runs properly otherwise. > > I had an engine harness fire a while back and it took out the ECU > possibly the ISC, so it is disconnected. I know the ECU takes a signal from > the ISC to control the Idle speed, especially when the AC is on. But with > the engine rev'ed to run or fill the AC system, it should have no effect, > if I recall. That's only at idle with the AC on that it kicks up the rpm. > Above 1500 rpm it drops the signal. > > So, thats what I'm dealing with now. I need first to know how to test that > clutch operation while the compressor is on the engine, if possible. I just > need to isolate it and determine it is working. Then I can back trace > through the system and see what else might be wrong - switches, relays, > wiring, whatever. > > Thanks a bunch. > > John > On Jun 20, 2016 09:00, "kenneth wilford (Van-Again)" <kenwilfy@comcast.net> > wrote: > >> John, did you watch the video I made about this subject on Youtube? >> https://youtu.be/IZJAlpXZQgg >> >> It is really for 86-91 Vanagon and Westy owners as the earlier Vanagon AC >> system was significantly different. >> >> My experience with the Vanagon AC system is this, if there is a small >> charge still in the system, it is worth a couple of cans of R134a to see if >> you can make the system work. I have had great luck doing this over the >> years. It costs very little to try to get the system back online, and if >> it lasts that summer, that is how long some factory fresh systems lasted >> from when the vans where new anyway so don't feel too bad. I have had vans >> that needed a recharge every spring, would last the summer and I did that >> for 10 years in a row and it just worked. There didn't seem to be any ill >> side effects except having to charge it once a year. I have had other >> folks go the "replace everything" mode, spend $1500 on the AC system and >> the next spring or two later, guess what? It needs a recharge or there is >> some problem with the system that requires works. The reality is that the >> AC systems in these vans can get really expensive, really fast. If the >> system won't hold a charge for more than a month or it is blowing fuses, or >> the compressor is super noisy then it is time to invest some money. But >> otherwise I leave it to the customer for their decision. Usually they >> choose to try the cheaper option and see what happens. Most of the time I >> don't hear from them again that summer about the AC because it is just >> working. >> >> "Don't let better get in the way of good enough" is a great motto when >> you are dealing with Vanagons. Something can always be "better" as >> perfection isn't actually attainable by us mere mortals. As long as it is >> working and doing the job, I will driving and smiling. It's gonna be a hot >> one this summer folks. >> >> HTH, >> >> Ken >> >> On Sun, Jun 19, 2016 at 8:51 PM, John Rodgers <jrodgers113@gmail.com> >> wrote: >> >>> Went to recharge the AC today. Everything went well until --- >>> >>> I got one can of refrigerant into the system, cranked the engine and >>> found >>> the clutch will not engage, nor will it take any more refrigerant with >>> engine running or not. Refrigerant lines felt cool as the first can went >>> in >>> but not since. The AC controls were set properly, but no go. How does >>> one >>> go about checking the clutch while the compressor is on the engine? I can >>> hear a faint clicking like something turning on and off, but not sure >>> what >>> it is. The system still had some 135a in it but it got low enough to shut >>> itself off last year. Haven't run it since. >>> >>> This is my first foray into the vanagon AC. Lots of mysteries to learn >>> about. Any suggestions? >>> >>> John >>> >> >> >> >> -- >> Thanks, >> Ken Wilford >> John 3:16 >> www.vanagain.com >> >