Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2016, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Jun 2016 16:21:55 -0400
From:         Eric Caron <ecaron1@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: exact foot pounds for the oil plug?

Thanks everyone for all the great advice.

Oil change is mostly complete. My oil plug is original I believe. I have crush washers but decided not to use one as the plug has a white plastic or similar washer that came on the bus after Ken Wilford changed the oil in 2013. Ken told me I could reuse that washer and I have done that for the third time this change. I didn’t trust my torque wrench as it is a large one not designed I think for such light settings. I decided to finger tighten then do a gentle quarter turn with a fairly short handled wrench. I am trying to be gentle but be sure it is on well enough.

All seems good. I put in about 4.5 quarts and rand it a bit then a friend checked it and said it was right between the lines. So clean it is a bit hard for him to see.

Oil filter is finger tight with a quarter turn with the filter wrench as finger tight with my oil covered hands was questionable.

A future purchase will need to be a smaller torque wrench.

I want to take the bus for a ride then check again to be sure the level is the same.

I appreciate all this support as I need a little encouragement when I head out alone to do these projects.

Eric Caron 85 GL Auto Westfalia