Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2016, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Jun 2016 16:57:35 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Coolant mystery
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@gmail.com>

Hmm, not unless coolant is flowing out of the overflow bottle cap. That would mean pressure much greater than 16 psi from combustion gasses, but his overflow bottle remains at the same level. His symptoms are similar to mine. Coolant was leaking out and not being replaced from the overflow tank because the leak may open up when cold and allow air to enter the engine rather than a vacuum sucking fluid from the overflow bottle. I hope so anyway, because at least the sealant would be worth a try.

Stuart

From: Jim Felder [mailto:jim.felder@gmail.com] Sent: Friday, June 17, 2016 3:12 PM To: Stuart MacMillan; vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Subject: Re: Coolant mystery

Stuart, the symptoms Eric is talking about is the really high pressure stuff coming out of the cylinders, seems like. If so, pressurizing to 15 pounds is only going to tell you where your coolant is going if you are losing it, not where the high pressure might be coming from that is permanently over pressurizing the system.

Jim