Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2016, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Jun 2016 15:17:58 -0700
From:         Scott - IMAP <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Remove Brake Caliper: Steering Knuckle Off Vehicle
Comments: To: Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

In retrospect, caliper bolts should always be loosened before removing the spindle assembly, obviously. Maybe you got them that way. Drive me nuts when people take short cuts like that, making things much harder later.

I have seen those bolts so damn tight it's unbelievable. I even got a long swivel head breaker bar just for getting the right angle with the parts on the van and being able to get enough force generated.

I doubt you're going to harm a heavily made spindle/upright clamping it in a vice .. if the caliper bolts are hyper tight you still might have a problem.

Impact wrench is super useful for some jobs. Really gotta have one and a compressor. Or just take it to some shop and say 'please just buzz these bolts off' .

heck ..Honda crankshaft pulley bolts can be SO tight from the factory .. I knew a car tech who kept a 3/4 inch drive impact gun that did like 900 foot lbs just for that one bolt on Honda's..they could be that tight.

That's a good upgrade ....been sitting on the parts for that myself for quite a while.

have fun ! Scott

On 6/19/2016 10:21 AM, Neil N wrote: > Hi all. > > I don't have an impact wrench. This is for '86+ style steering knuckles. > > With the lower ball joint end of the steering knuckle mounted securely > in a large vice, > is there any great risk that I'll bend or distort the knuckle metal > while unbolting the > brake caliper? > > I know that sounds "insane", as that metal is quite thick, but best to > ask first? > > The why: I'm considering upgrading my 1981 Westy to the later style > knuckle to allow > for the better later style caliper or big brake kit. But I'd rather > inspect the knuckle spindle > with parts on bench before taking apart the '81 front end. (though I > do want to install > the GW progressive springs I have on hand.....) > > Thanks > > Neil. > > -- > Neil n > > Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca> > > 1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy> > > 1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/> > > Vanagon-Bus VAG Gas Engine Swap Group <http://tinyurl.com/khalbay>