Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2016, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Jun 2016 17:53:23 -0700
From:         Scott - IMAP <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Sticky brakes
Comments: To: B Feddish <uprightbassghost@HOTMAIL.COM>

How often do you replace your brake fluid ?

Officially it should be every 2 years..tho that;s probably seldom done.

I just had an interesting situation involving brakes/brake fluid. 85 Adventurewagon , 80 to 85 early style front brakes........long long descent...Tioga Pass down Lee Vining Canyon.

I'm being easy on the brakes, running in 3rd and even 2nd at 30mph-ish, even 25.

the brakes start not working too effectively so I stop .. tho I'd rather keep the wheels turning for cooling .. heck ...even in gear with parking brake on some, engine off, it wanted to roll.

I was able to keep going and get brakes back to pretty normal, but peddle needed a pump to get the high firm pedal back after that. so I bled out some front brake fluid. And I was rather shocked at how bad the old fluid looked in there.

what I figure is ....old fluid absorbed water over time.. lowering the boiling point of the fluid in the caliper pistons quite a bit .. boiling the fluid there....allowing for lowish pedal .. and those early brakes .... ,y next upgrade is those 86 and later brakes and spindles and whole front suspension I've been saving.

bottom line..if you are planning any heavy-load, high summer temps, long descents.. at least have your brake fluid pretty fresh.

On 6/25/2016 11:52 AM, B Feddish wrote: > Sorry to omit that guys, it’s a 1.9 WC w/ATE. They are only a few years old but I seem to have to replace them every few years. > > Bryan > > From: Stuart MacMillan<mailto:stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM> > Sent: Saturday, June 25, 2016 2:49 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM<mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Subject: Re: Sticky brakes > > If it's sticking and dragging, that usually means the piston is corroded, which will need to be replaced. It (they) can be professionally rebuilt, or buy two new calipers (it's always best to replace in pairs IMHO). Here is a rebuilder I've used several times for Vanagon and MGB calipers with excellent results: http://www.goldlinebrakes.com/ > > Stuart > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of B Feddish > Sent: Saturday, June 25, 2016 11:30 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Sticky brakes > > My right side brake caliper is dragging and making a scraping sound. Should I just replace it or is the rebuild kit easy enough to do? > > Thanks, > Bryan > > > Sent from Mail for Windows 10