Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2016, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Jun 2016 18:34:33 +0000
From:         Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: AC conversion
Comments: To: steve meassick <stevem@TDHVAC.COM>

You can try what I tried with my '87 Westy that arrived with complete but non-cooling A/C ten years ago.  I admit this is a half-assed fix and I intend to get new hoses and redo the system, but this has been working for me.  I had first taken the van to the place that installed A/C in my '85 Nissan pickup.  They looked over the van, said it leaked and would cost $2000 to fix it so I figured I had nothing to lose by playing with it.  I then got one of the cheapo R134a conversion kits at a FLAPS, put the new fittings on the system inlets and charged with two cans of the refrigerant.  I now blows cold air and I need to recharge about once a year.   Last time I did it was in the parking lot of a Miami funeral home in the time slot between my arrival in town and my aunt's viewing.  There is the correct way to fix it, and then there are workarounds.  Good luck! Stephen