Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2016, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Jun 2016 09:09:31 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Is it reasonable to expect a rebuilt waterboxer to be bone
              dry underneath?
Comments: To: "kenneth wilford (Van-Again)" <kenwilfy@comcast.net>

Ken, I can't really speak to your questin specifically, except to say that my engines always seemed to be oily on the bottom. Lezn it, and it's oily again in short order.

When I was active in aircraft maintenance, a clean engine was the mark of a well maintained aircraft. The opposed cylinder engines were very much like Wasserboxer's - split case, detachable cylinders. For commercial operations with smaller than airline sized aircraft, 100 hous of operation brought on the 100 hour inspection. Cleaning that engine was necessary for a good close look. I always found that the split case-detachable cylinder arrangement was always prone to leak a little oil. And if it was allowed to accumulate it became a fire hazard, and you can't pull over and park on a cloud. So being judicious in cleaning that engine was important. I would think the same would be true for our WBX'ers.

Just my experience.