Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2016, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Jun 2016 14:31:09 +0000
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Is it reasonable to expect a rebuilt waterboxer to be bone
              dry underneath?
Comments: To: "kenneth wilford (Van-Again)" <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>

Ken,I have a 1.9 Westy I finally sold this year , and the bottom of the engine had an oily film .I reassembled this engine 10 years ago with head gaskets, etc. The last  few years, an oil film developed. The oil level is never down.After I sold it , the customer complained that the engine was leaking oil everywhere.He made such a big deal about it, I told him to bring it back for me to check out.

I pressure washed the engine bottom, put a white board under it for a week. The result: one drop, coming from the pressure relief valve cap.The rest of the engine was dry. Over a long time, one little drip is blown around the bottom of the engine from air moving past as you drive.

The inline four in my 82 Westy doesn't use oil either, but is not leak-free. There are 23 screws holding the oil pan .Heat and cold expansion and contraction is going to eventually create leaks between covers and pans , and the WBX 16 push-rod tube seals. Robert1982 Westfalia

From: kenneth wilford (Van-Again) <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2016 6:47 AM Subject: Is it reasonable to expect a rebuilt waterboxer to be bone dry underneath? I want to see what other folks are experiencing on this issue.  I have been installing rebuilt waterboxers for the past 18 years from many different vendors, plus I have rebuilt a number of them myself.  One of the things I see is that after a month or two, they all start to leak or seep oil here and there.  It is usually nothing more than a drop or two on the ground after the van sits overnight.  However I have had customers who have expected their engines to have no leaks, no wetness, and now spots on the ground after sitting.  I have tried to address these concerns, re-sealing things, etc. but I have never been successful getting a waterboxer engine that is completely bone dry on the bottom (oil).  Am I doing something wrong?  Also I have never seen a vendor's engine like Boston Bob back in the day or AVP or GEX or other rebuilders who are unknown, that didn't have some leaks or seeps here and there.  What is a reasonable expectation for a rebuilt waterboxer?  What have you experienced?

-- Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com