Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2016, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Jun 2016 05:57:34 -0700
From:         Toomey Douglas <drt@UOREGON.EDU>
Subject:      Re: AC conversion
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

John Rodgers and Dennis Haynes,

Thank you for your responses. Some background. I have an 87 Westy, owned since 89. This year I have had significant work done on car, including rebuilt engine installed (2.1), water pump, fuel pump, radiator, clutch. Also upgrade of suspension, bushings, ball joints, cv joints. Having had and enjoyed the car for so long, I’ve wanted to fix it up. And keep it for another several decades.

As to why the AC, I had not wanted to do a conversion at all, nor on the road. It has worked fine, but it has lost its charge of refrigerant. Normally we do not use the AC in Oregon, so the last time I had it recharged was about 7 years ago. It held that charge for awhile.

With all of the other repairs done in the past few months, I simply ran out of time for my kids summer vacation. I also (mistakenly?) thought I could get the original system recharged, but a week before leaving, the shop in Eugene that is recommended said they could not recharge the original system with R12.

So, with time run out, we are traveling to see grandparents and ruing my decision to use my beloved westy.

A couple of other questions. Sorry to not know answers.

Can I get the original system recharged? If so, with what? I presume it would need to be tested somehow before doing so. What type of test?

The alternative is to make the trip without AC and, if desired/recommended, convert when I return, which is indeed sensible advice.

Thanks again for your help. On the road toward Idaho Falls.

Doug

_______________________ Prof. Douglas Toomey 1272 Geological Sciences University of Oregon Eugene, OR 97403-1272

http://uoregon.edu/~drt http://geophysics.uoregon.edu (541) 346 5576 (tel) (541) 346 4692 (fax) ________________________