Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2016, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Jun 2016 21:38:14 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Sticky brakes
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

My one experience with silicone brake fluid was with my MGB. It had a metal reservoir and moisture would condense on the walls. Not be absorbed, the water collected on the bottom, got pumped into the system and corroded everything.

Absorbing a little water is not necessarily a bad thing! Just change the earlier glycol fluids every couple of years. Silicone fluid is for race cars.

Stuart

The DOT 5 fluids are better in a number of ways but the incompatibility is a real problem. To change over you have to flush the system out with alcohol and it is probably best to do this with all new parts. With just a little bit of maintenance the DOT 4 fluids work just fine. There are resons the auto industry hos not gone the DOT 5 route.

Dennis

I didn't read enough into it, but I wonder if the silicon-based brake fluids draw less water. They are incompatible with the glycol-based ones, but I suppose if you fully flushed the system it would be usable even in the venerable vanagon?

On 6/29/16, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote: > Brake fluid (glycol) is used as it gets along well with certain > rubber/plastic parts. Yes it can absorb moisture especially since most