Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2016, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Jun 2016 09:16:02 -0500
From:         Ralph Meyermann <ralphmeyermann@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Play in rear wheel bearings
Comments: To: Frank Condelli <RAlanen@aol.com>

I understand that the spacer locks the inner races of the bearings and stub shaft together to prevent and slipping of races on the stub shaft. The minor play is up and down and appears to be the outer bearing. The inner race and the outer bearing seem to line up perfectly. Not sure if under the 360# of torque + a little heat from running the bearing may slightly swell the inner race to take up the minor wiggle? I know the Germans have some kind of magical engineering formulations that at first seem questionable but end up right on the money 😉 On Jun 30, 2016 5:01 AM, "Frank Condelli" <RAlanen@aol.com> wrote:

That spacer being less than 42.8mm in my experience has shown to provide more play in the set up after the nut has been torqued to 360 ft. lbs. All new spacers are all 42.8 mm long, maybe they made them that way for a reason. I certainly have a pile of used ones that are less than 42.8 mm. So….something wore them down and after installing new bearings and new spacers I get no rock from the wheel when trying to move it back and forth using the 12 and 6 o’clock hand positions on the wheel.

> On Jun 30, 2016, at 12:00 AM, Automatic digest processor < LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> wrote: > > Scott is right but missed one thing. The spacer does indeed simply transfer t= > he force generated by the big axle nut from the outer bearing inner race to t= > he inner bearing inner race. However, the length of the splined section of t= > he stub axle is such that if the spacer is too short then the hub bottoms ou= > t on the end of the splined section of the stub axle before everything else i= > s brought up tight. > > Frank states an absolute measurement for the spacer. My beef is the emphasis= > on that absolute value. By his measure a 0.01 mm variance in length is reas= > on to replace the spacer.=20

Cheers,

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada '87 VW Westy, '00 Kawasaki 250 Sherpa, "98 Ducati 750 Monster & Lionel Trains (Collection for sale <http://frankcondelli.com/trainsal.htm>) Frank Condelli & Associates <http://www.frankcondelli.com/> - Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley BusFusion <http://www.busfusion.com/> a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 02 ~ 05, 2016