Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2016, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Jun 2016 14:31:39 -0700
From:         Scott - IMAP <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Now: Vanagon Passion. Was: ... Brake Drum:
Comments: To: Tyler Hardison <tyler@SERAPH-NET.NET>

lol... funny how that happens. I have a girlfriend that tries to do that a little .. I was looking online for Vanagon 14 inch alloy wheels.. I find a bunch of super light weight Porshce lug nuts that fit vanagons .. right where she is going to be traveling .. she says 'you don't need those lug nuts' .. she's probably oppossed to me getting the wheels... I'm like ...is there something you're wanting that you are not getting ? ... like unless it impacts her directly, why should she give me any trouble about my passion for these fine machines ?

do I bother her is she wants some object for herself ?

i mean ...what a Vanagon represents ! .. they provide Freedom,...freedom of the open road .. Adventure ..endless adventure-providers, Indepence, great campability ....carry tons of stuff.. a whole family of VW people are part of the deal. heck .. in Yosemeite with my high top Adventurewagon ..twice I got unsolicited compliments .. I'm stuck in a grid-lock engine off traffic jam in Yosemite Valley .. off to the side I hear 'great vanagon man' ..twice no less.

On 6/30/2016 1:43 PM, Tyler Hardison wrote: > I have to admit that sometimes I post questions just for the conversation. > > The wife doesn't exactly make for a great conversationalist when it comes > to mechanical stuff on the Vanagon. She just sees $$.. > > :) > > On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 1:38 PM, Rob <vwrobb@gmail.com> wrote: > >> We need an Idiot's Guide to the Vanagon.... With the simple stuff. Just >> like John Muir had in his book. Won't start (does it have gas?). Red light >> on, Won't stop. A Tune up. Basic tools.The Simple Stuff. >> >> I had many a long talks with John Muir by the side of the road & I didn't >> even know he was dead (by then) but I learned. >> >> Many years ago I brought up Muir's book on this list & was put down because >> his was an air cooled book, I stopped mentioning it. Everytime I hear of >> someone getting their van towed because the clutch went out I figure they >> never read Muir's book... >> >> Simple things... like the coolant light is blinking or how do you put oil >> in the engine? >> >> Just a thought... >> >> Rob >> vwrobb@gmail.com >> >> >> On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 4:25 PM, Mike Miller <mwmiller6@att.net> wrote: >> >>> Haven't responded to Scott's posts for a few years but this one I want >> to. >>> Scott, >>> You have to know what you're looking at to have looking at things be the >>> first step. You've been working on these vehicles, and others, for so >> long >>> that you don't remember what it's like to simply not know anything about >>> how the things work and what they look like fixed, or broken. >>> Some of us don't. >>> If you don't believe me ask BenT what I know about engines and brakes and >>> tires and wheels, etc. >>> Mike >>> >>> On Thursday, June 30, 2016 1:18 PM, Scott - IMAP < >>> scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> wrote: >>> >>> >>> Funny you should say that about posting right away. >>> I see that quite frequently .. >>> like people will ask about what can cause a symptom and they havn't >>> LOOKED at anything .. >>> like not even remove the engine cover and just LOOK in there ..even for >>> obvious stuff. >>> >>> ( I figure they 'just want to post' ...or they're too lazy or don't >>> trust themselves enough to actually LOOK at the thing or system to >>> start with. ) >>> >>> I posted a Friday question once..'What is The First Step' in any >>> diagnositc procedure. >>> The very, very first step. >>> i got answers like 'get out the Bentley Manual' and things like that.. >>> seems so OBVIOUS ... >>> or maybe it's Too Obvious ..but ...jeez ....when a vehicle doesn't work >>> like it should .. >>> for gosh sakes ..LOOK like with yer eyeballs and hands and fingers at >>> the affected area of the vehicle. >>> >>> and sure ..if people want to post before they do that ...fine ....kind >>> of a waste of everyone's time tho .. >>> if they look .. >>> then they can at least show that they are doing something ....did not >>> see anything obvious .. >>> or maybe a question about something that may not look right... >>> to post without even looking or checking .... >>> hmmmmm... >>> ....I think some people just want an excuse to post sometimes. >>> >>> hey ..by the way .. >>> One of my vans doesn't run exactly right ..what do people think could be >>> causing that ??? >>> >>> < example of a really useless question lacking Any info to go on. > >>> >>> it's all good, >>> Scott >>> >>> On 6/30/2016 12:36 PM, Neil N wrote: >>>> Hi folks. >>>> >>>> I'm doing my best to be careful with my work. Work "slower", think >> more. >>>> One bad habit of mine is posting too quickly on an issue or potential >>> issue. >>>> Hopefully though, what I ask and-or show in images, might be something >>> someone >>>> else has run across or wondered about. >>>> >>>> My Vanagon Passion may be out of balance these days but I'd suggest >> that >>>> most if not all folks on this list are VERY passionate about >>> Vanagons/Buses, >>>> and want to keep them running properly or help other folks to same. >>>> That passion can see different forms I guess. >>>> >>>> >>>> Neil. >>>> >>>> --------- >>>> >>>> >>>>> Just use yer brains and do careful work, and for sure.. >>>>> expect that on most jobs that the very first time you do it .. >>>>> it will be a learning experience and may not 'automatically' work out >>>>> perfectly the first time. >>>> -- >>>> Neil n >>>> >>>> Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca> >>>> >>>> 1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy> >>>> >>>> 1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical < >>> http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/> >>>> Vanagon-Bus VAG Gas Engine Swap Group <http://tinyurl.com/khalbay>