Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2016, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Jul 2016 14:00:30 -0700
From:         Scott - IMAP <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Shop experience gas tank
Comments: To: Eric Caron <ecaron1@COMCAST.NET>

can't agree with this, sorry. Yes, great that they got the result, and evidently it was needed ..sure... but what happens next time when they say 'your clutch is worn out' .... then you see the parts after the job and there's nothing worn out about them ?

but there was some other minor detail affecting the clutch which they sorted out along with the clutch job.

Naturally your confidence in them will be reduced.

ONE THING shops do is Rush to a Diagnosis. The percentage of time that they 'diagnose a problem, then sell the job, then do the repaiir ' .. where when they get in there.. they find some other thing actually causing the problem .. so they go ahead and do that, plus fix the real problem . and if they have to justify they just say 'you needed a clutch anyway'.

this probably happens upwards of 50 % of the time. Most car shops are sloppy, in a hurry, sell-sell-sell...

what they do is NOT spend your money the best way to keep you safe and on the road.

WHAT THEY DO IS LOOK FOR JUSTIFIABLE PROFITABLE REPAIRS. They are not interested in having to figure anything out ..not much money in that.

what they are interested in is replacing your ball joints or whatever because they can show they are tired somehow, sound like you'll get killed in a crash if you don't do them like today .. etc. etc. Many are pure crooks , sad to say.

Don't get me started ... I'll finish with this .. I still get Automotive Repair Shop Trade Magazines.. There was actually an article that said shops should measure the suspension height of every car that comes in...and if the springs have sagged say 1/4 an inch over time .. then they should sell the person a whole new set of springs, and an alignment of course.. and of course there's bound to be a slightly tired ball joint or whatever. and they talk like your car is now undriveable ..unless you spend big bucks on these springs you don't really need.

heck, I worked in a shop long ago where a customer had a blown timing chain on an american V8 engine. I replaced the chain and gears. the customer paid for that and a whole new camshaft and set of lifters, which I never touched of course.

re : "that could happen in a busy shop with folks talking to each other and things getting a bit scrambled."

The customer doesn't care about that ...it's no excuse that they can't keep communication straight .. and even if they got the tank repalced and it needed.. it leaves wondering ...'next time they say I need X ..is that really true ????'

I think it is important ..to KINDLY, AND DIPLOMATICALLY explain to the shop guy ... 'I am pretty sure you said rusted grommet holes and we talked about it ..and afterward that turned out to not be true' ...and ....I just can't go to any shop where that happens .. because who knows what someone might make up next time . and I won't refer anyone to this shop either.'

THE SINGLE MOST CRITICAL PART OF ANY PROFESSIONAL CAR REPAIR JOB IS HOW THE JOB IS SOLD !!! both for the shop ( managing expectations of the customer ) and for the customer ...having a trusting successful repair experience.. it starts right there..'how the job is sold'. MANY shops are untrained in that, and just sloppy about it, sadly.

this is why I do EVERYTHING myself if at all possible !

On 7/3/2016 10:52 AM, Eric Caron wrote: > Hi Bernie, > > If you think the tank was fine then I understand your reaction. But if the gas smell is truly gone and the tank may have had a problem then I would not worry about a difference in description. that could happen in a busy shop with folks talking to each other and things getting a bit scrambled. > > If the tank is fine or the smell is still there then it is a different story. > > Eric Caron > 85 GL Autos > With a slight gas smell after fill up. > Now you have me worried! > > > > >> On Jul 3, 2016, at 1:20 PM, bernie <1234bjs@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >> >> I was having a gas smell occasionally in 85 westy >> and I took it a shop that I often go to. >> The fellow phoned me later in the day and said that >> the tank was rusted. >> He said "at the point that the grommets connect to the tank it's rusted". >> I said " you mean there is nothing for grommets to hold to". >> He said "exactly". >> The vehicle has been parked undercover for it's whole life and is a very >> rust free vehicle. >> I took him at this word and gave the go ahead for a new tank as per >> recommendation. >> When I went to pickup vehicle I said I wanted to see the tank. >> He took me back to tank where grommets where in excellent condition, I had >> replaced them sometime ago, and there was no rust on tank. >> I said "Where is rust on tank near grommets like you indicated". >> He said " I didn't say that. It was leaking at the seal where top half of >> tank connects to bottom half". >> He showed me an area of concern. I am not expert but it looked like it >> could be a problem area. >> I said well I am not disputing that I may have needed a new tank however my >> concern is the reason for the tank has changed. >> Basically he said he never said anything about >> rust and grommets. >> I paid the bill and told him on the basis of these events I had lost >> confidence in the shop and we could no longer do business as to me a man's >> word is everything. >> I know what he said to me on the phone. >> Did I over react or did I make the right call to be done with this shop. >> >> Bernie >> Vancouver