Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2016, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Jul 2016 16:59:34 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Speedometer is off
Comments: To: Neil N <musomuso@gmail.com>

Spoons need to be as close to the center of the disk the needle is mounted to, or you risk breaking that disk. My needle was incredibly tight. I've had good speed correction moving the needle about 1/4 to 1/2 inch farther than that spot you reference.

VDO should really be ashamed of themselves for how lazy they were in making these speedos.

Stuart

-----Original Message----- From: Neil N [mailto:musomuso@gmail.com] Sent: Sunday, July 03, 2016 3:03 PM To: Stuart MacMillan Cc: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Subject: Re: Speedometer is off

My guess is that a lot of Vanagon odometers have been fixed by well intended owners ("coughs" like me. lol)

One thing that is easily overlooked is pre loading the needle when re-installing it. There is a white mark on the speedo face CCW of the rest pin. The needle should be lined up to this mark, set lightly on the shaft, then carefully turned CW past post, then seated all the way. This should preload the internal spring.

I recently broke a speedo needle. Shame on me!

re: "drive pin".

Edge of spoons should push up against the metal portion of needle?

On 7/3/16, Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@gmail.com> wrote: > .... then the fix is to remove and replace the needle about the > distance of the error on the dial farther counter clockwise. Move the

> needle over the stop pin and mark where it rests before you remove it. > ....Be sure the spoons are up > against the drive pin.

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>

1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/>