Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2016, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Jul 2016 22:08:08 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Speedometer is off
Comments: To: Marc Perdue <mcperdue@GMAIL.COM>

The 195/75-14 tire is not a larger diameter than the 185/80-14, it may actually be smaller. Do your really have 195/75 or 195/80's. The 87's were still notorious for speedometers/odometers be overly optimistic. Usually over reading by almost 4%. The number at the bottom indicates the revolutions per mile. Compare that with the listed revolutions per mile listed for the tire you are using. A typical 185/80-14 (~25.5") is around 830 RPM. Your speedometer is probably 805. If you speedometer is really under reading the needle is probably sticking and needs lubrication of repair or the rotor is moving far enough away from the stator that the magnetic drive is not working as it should.

On either of those tires with stock gearing 3,800 engine rpm is about 68 mph.

As for the phone apps there are those that use GPS and those that triangulate off of the cell towers. The GPS tend be dead on except for the reaction time.

Dennis