Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2016, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Jul 2016 22:30:55 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Shop experience gas tank
Comments: To: Scott - IMAP <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

In the business world there are quotes and proposals from the supplier followed by purchase orders or written authorizations from the customer and when changes in scope are needed there are change orders and all of this is followed up with well documented invoices at the end. Basically a contract and proof of services rendered.

Dennis

You're totally right and reasonable to not trust this guy in the future.

After all, all we really have to go on are WORDS of Communication with people. If they say the wheels are square, and you have a comprehensive and clarifying/confirming talk with the guy about that, . then later he says "I never said the wheels are square' .. big fat red flag and ... of course you have huge doubts about trust there.

When I was doing engine conversions.. almost all customers where from out of state. And all conversations about how to proceed where by email. Which obviously, gives a written record of everything stated... and there can't really be any disputes about what was said, cause we can just look at the emails. I more or less never had a 'I thought you said' thing with a customer that way.

it goes the other way too. for one guy ( local and thus via phone ) I said 'your brakes need work' ..I knew he was low on funds ..as we had already spent a couple hundred on other needed repairs . I said 'I will do these 5 things for $ 200 and your brakes will be much much better.. you'll still need more work in the future, but considering the funds you have to work with, you'll be much much better off after these 5 things for $ 200. "

he says OK.

When he comes to pick up the van, I show him how much better the pedal height is, and how the brakes are generally improved though still not 'as new, or perfect.'

He says 'I thought you said you were going to do everything.'

I say .."no I did not say that, i said I would do xyz and that is exactly what I did, and things are much better, like I said they would be ...and any other shop would have wanted 400 to 600 for a more thorough brake job.'

that was the end of him for me. Told him not to even try to get me to work on his van again.

emails or text pretty much eliminate the 'I thought you said blah blah blah' factor.

also ...when a customer says "I want it done right' ..very often that is code for 'I am cheap, don't really want to spend the money, and want you to do more than what I am really paying for.'

Serious red flag when they say that. ... particularly after going over what's needed, what it will cost and so forth.

anyway ..glad your van is happy again !

And 'mostly' Vanagon owner/drivers are very decent people to work with, most of 'em.

Scott

On 7/3/2016 10:20 AM, bernie wrote: > I was having a gas smell occasionally in 85 westy and I took it a shop