Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2016, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Jul 2016 22:15:39 -0700
From:         Scott - IMAP <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1991 2.1 - Oil Cooler coolant line blown...
Comments: To: Steve Williams <steve@WILLIAMSITCONSULTING.COM>

that's fine ..you run 'forever' without coolant flowing through the coolant portion of the Oil Cooler/Heat Exchanger.

Just block off both hoses, or rig a hose around the whole affair temporarily. The hoses are surprisingly fiddly to deal with, even though they are right there in plain sight.

that's a Standard VW Trick' ..hoses that are different sizes on each end.

re : Had to pull the oil filter off to get to the hose & was overjoyed to find that the entire crankcase didn't empty out :)

Surprising how many people think the oil sump will drain if the oil filter is removed. It won't, as you found out. Oil has to be pumped to the oil filter fitting for that to be a way for all oil to get dumped.

yeah just block things off, or get some hose and bypass the whole coolant portion of the oil cooler/heat exchanger until you get home.

Scott

On 7/3/2016 9:54 PM, Steve Williams wrote: > Hi, > > <posted to Facebook VOG as well> > > I've got a 1991 Westfalia stock with a 2.1 L (stock) engine. > > Heading home today, I got the blinking low coolant light. Heart attack, > but the temperature was fine. > > Pulled over immediately and sure enough the tanks were low. Topped up > with water as I only had 50 km to go to my gf's place in Lake Louise and > I now knew my low coolant sensor is working, I wasn't too stressed. The > temperature needle never wavered a bit. > > Tried the parking lot repair and if it hadn't started raining, I > probably would have gotten it fixed. It is what I believe is the return > line for the oil cooler. Had to pull the oil filter off to get to the > hose & was overjoyed to find that the entire crankcase didn't empty > out :) > > Other than a brain fart, where I got impatient removing the hose, > thinking I had a spare piece that would fit... I cut the old hose off > the oil cooler. Only when I got the hose cut, could I see that the 2 > ends of the hose are different sizes :( > > I had cut a slit lengthwise & if I was WAY more patient (or stranded up > a logging road, like I could have been if it happened yesterday!), I > could have fashioned a repair using the silicone repair tape that I > carry with me due to the great recommendation of this list. > > Like I said, it started raining, so I went inside & had a shower and > pondered the situation. > > I seem to remember reading on this list that the unit isn't so much an > "oil cooler", but an "oil pre-heater"... but I could be wrong which is > why I'm coming back to the list. > > I'm 175 km from home on relatively flat roads. It's not that hot out > here in the Canadian mountains. > > On page 19.14 of the Bently, the hose that is blown is the one on the > oil cooler line on the "To Thermostat". > > I'm thinking to block off the host at the thermostat end as well as the > hose coming from the water pump. > > Am I totally out to lunch? > > Thanks, > Steve Williams