Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2016, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Jul 2016 13:57:40 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Propane tank
Comments: To: Brett Ne <brettn777@gmail.com>

Cool! Good to know! Planning out upgrades for my '88 GL. Dunno when I'll get to it all, if ever, but it's fun to dream. In light of whats just been said, dual tanks are something to aim for. Would like to ad a Propex heater. Hopefully a Subie conversion is laying in the works out there somewhere. The present mill runs good, uses little oil, but has 170, 000 miles on it, so at some point one day more near than far, a febuild will be in order, or a conversion. I had an '85 GL as my first vanagon, and drove it from Alaska to Alabama, finishing at 205,000 original miles. Put another 10,000 on down here, and then one day saw OL' RED, an '88 GL, sitting in a rural roadside sales lot. It was love at first sight. It's not been all a bed of roses though. I know it happened, but not when, but the original factory engine expired in under 80, 000 miles, because when I bought it, it had about 86,000 on it, and at 96,000, I put in another engine - the one I have now. One which has given me good service for 170,000 miles. But from zero miles to 96,000 mile mark when I put in a new engine, two other engines had already been put in and killed. Must have been some abusive drivers. No wonder OL' RED was whistling my name as I drove by. 170,000 miles should say something about how I drive and speak to the quality of the rebuild.

The future should hold 16" rims with appropriate tires, big brake kit for all wheels. It got a rebuilt manual tranny not long ago, but I am planning to add positraction. Don't really need any thing more down here. Were I still in Alaska, or out West it would be another story.

Not long ago I saw a drop dead georgeous 85 GL Tintop that had been refinished by the owner. Was reupholstered inside, and had a custom built Westy style interior. The outside had been painted a grey with black trimm and custom black bumpers. It was fab. May go there sometime, except in red.

One can dream!