Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2016, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Jul 2016 21:58:42 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Anyone to hand hold some electrical questions, cruise control
Comments: To: Ryan Shawley <easywind1975@hotmail.com>

Ken Wilford has a good video on youtube about trouble shooting and repairing this. Here's the link:

https://youtu.be/KcIL_K9H8zQ

John On Jul 7, 2016 21:42, "Ryan Shawley" <easywind1975@hotmail.com> wrote:

SO I recently purchased a 91 automatic and sold my old faithful 86 westy. Been running down some bugs, doing the fuel line change, etc.

The factory cruise control currently does not operate. I tried the easy fix of the vacuum brake cutoff switch replacement but that didn't help. Vacuum solenoid appears to hold vacuum and the line running to front also seems to hold vacuum. I began the Bentley troubleshooting procedure by disconnecting the cruise computer and testing at the computer connector. The stalk switch checks out fine and the speed sensor appears OK. When I do the brake switch test it indicates test light should be on until brake pedal is depressed and then it should go out. Well the test light does not come on at all (ignition switch is on, gear selector in D) when connected to terminal 3 on the connector. So I've been trying to track down what the hell is going on, I traced the wires to the relay and brake light switches. The brake light switches appear to work correctly. One of the wires to the relay is the wrong color but appears to go to correct terminal. I am not very good with electrical stuff so I need some help here.... I do not appear to have continuity from the Bk/R wire from the relay to cruise computer connector. Should I? Secondly the blue wire going to the relay (which should be BK/Y) appears to work somehow in conjunction with the D+ alternator wire, with ignition on I get faint light on test light and a voltage of about 1.3 volts. Same reading at the alternator with key on and d+ connections cleaned up. In my mind I should be getting like close to 12 volts back there. Is this a red herring or am I on to something. Here's a link to wiring for 91 auto with cruise. http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1528225.jpg Ryan in Johnstown