Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2016, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Jul 2016 10:12:26 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Inspected radiator in place with endoscope Was: Unusual
              Vanagon D radiator sidetank baffle failure
Comments: To: Poppie Jagersand <poppie.jagersand@yahoo.ca>

Nice to see those images. Thanks for posting them. I can see how that USB scope would be useful... in the right hands.

I assume this radiator has metal tanks.

When I inspected inside an '85 WBX radiator, there wasn't a whole lot of debris, what not.

a few images here

https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/19WBXRadiatorOpenedUp#5377715571722535154

On 7/13/16, Poppie Jagersand <poppie.jagersand@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> I bought the USB endoscope I mentioned in the previous post. $27 on Amazon. > (Cheaper on ebay, but would take a month to ship from China) > The endoscope / borescope was quite handy, letting me look inside the > radiator through the fan switch thermostat and in/outlets. > > No crud or scaling was to be seen in the radiator, but as I had expected > from the tests I did before (see previous post) coolant was passing directly > between the hot and cold sides. Turns out the baffle separating the hot and > cold half in the passenger side tank was broken. My guess is that the > interior soldering of the baffle was weakened when the side tank was > soldered on from the outside. Then many cycles of flexing the poorly > attached brass baffle finally broke a piece off. > I wonder if I can plug this hole w/o taking the radiator out. E.g. with > epoxy putty or high temp silicone. > > Pictures on:https://webdocs.cs.ualberta.ca/~jag/Pictures/VanagonDRad/

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>

1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/>