Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2016, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Jul 2016 14:46:07 -0700
From:         "C. Abney" <tsudonimh@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Starter related question.
Comments: To: Roy Nicholl <RNicholl@nbnet.nb.ca>

Things you have to remove to pull the starter: the battery ground(:-*), and (probably) the throttle body. At least, doing that makes removing that long hex head screw easy.

I don't think you have to remove the axle. I can't say for sure though, because when I removed the starter on my vanagon I had already removed the axles.

On 7/13/16, Roy Nicholl <RNicholl@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote: > All, > > Tuesday morning we had a “no crank” situation in the Hyena (’88 2.1 WBX) and > were “late for swimming lessons” as I shifted the kid pod from the Westy > back to "Mom’s car”. > > My multimeter and kit is at another location - I’ll fetch it on Friday - but > today at lunch I had 15-minutes so I pulled the plug off the ignition switch > and stuck a strand of 14/2 Nomax between 12V and 50. I head what sounded > like the solenoid “slam” into place, but only the once. I then went aft > with my stand of 14/2 and bridged #50 at the solenoid … nothing. > > Batter seems fine … according to the simple meter on the charger … will > measure this again with multimeter. > > So it is looking like the {original} starter has packed it in … I’ll go out > on Saturday morning with the meter just to make certain I’m getting all the > required voltage at all the required places. > > While I was under there, I noted there is nothing attached to #16 on the > solenoid … isn’t there suppose to be a connection to the ignition system > (coil) here? > > Let’s assume I need to replace the starter. > 1) Do I really need to disconnect the right axle to do this {as I was told > over the phone today}? It looks like I should be able to get at all the > bolts (after a little cleaning) … not as easy as the ’66, but should be > possible. > 2) Is there an improvement that can be made over the OEM starter? {i.e. > something like a starter from a mk2 jetta i4 that is cheaper to procure} > 3) Is a rebuilt starter worth the cost savings (50%)? > 4) Was there any significant change in the starter over the years? The > Hyena is a 1988, but I know of a possible ’84 donor nearby. > > I also noted a couple more ground straps that need cleaning/attention > (including the one between the solenoid and starter) … I’ll take care of > these before ordering a new starter. I’ve never had a starter fail > completely w/o any prior warning before, so I’m not 100% convinced I do not > have another notoriously bad ground/earth. > > I may as well use this as an opportunity to remove all that current from the > ignition switch and install some additional relays. > > Roy >

-- There's no .sig like the present