Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2016, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Jul 2016 12:44:17 +0000
From:         "kenneth wilford (Van-Again)" <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: What component causes the fuel pump to come on for a second
              or two when I turn on the ignition to the first position (no
              cranking)?
Comments: To: Mark Drillock <modrillock@gmail.com>

I have found there is a double electrical connection on the firewall that you have to remove the air filter housing to see. This is on 85-91 Vanagons. This connection gets corroded and doesn't let enough voltage to activate the relay. If you hit the relay box above the coil with you hand when the key is on you will hear the pump run momentarily as it should when you turn the key. This makes you think it is the relay but in fact it is the electrical connection I spoke of earlier. Cut the connector out and splice the wires together and you will be back in business.

Ken